Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Why Do We Keep Repeating Ourselves?

Saying 'what kind of idiot doesn't know about the Yellowstone supervolcano' is so much more boring that telling someone about the Yellowstone supervolcano for the first time
XKCD
Most importantly was the hover-over text
Saying 'what kind of idiot doesn't know about the Yellowstone supervolcano' is so much more boring that telling someone about the Yellowstone supervolcano for the first time
I've only been blogging about religion for a little over a year, and I already feel like I've seen everything. I've seen every apologetic and argued for why they fail, I've looked into why many religious people don't believe in evolution, I've posted about direct arguments against religion and answered the religious people's criticism of these arguments, and I've talked about a whole host of related things. Any atheist blogger who has been blogging for any reasonable period of time will be in the same position. It's easy to get into the mindset of "I've said this all before, everyone should know this, why am I repeating myself?" But I think this is a bad state of mind to get stuck in. You never know if someone reading your post on the Euthyphro dilemma is seeing it for the first time.

I do believe that most of my readers are other atheists, but you never know who is reading. I like to try to imagine I am writing to myself when I was a Christian. This could be either when I was fully buying into everything, or when I was asking questions and looking for answers. If the internet had been as pervasive as it is now when I was going through this process, I could totally imagine myself looking for answers on the internet. I see search terms hitting my blog all the time that could easily be people in this position. Whenever I have trouble with motivation, I focus on writing to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...