Friday, May 3, 2013

A Conversation Between Dawkins and a Young Earth Creationist

I've watched a ton of formal debates, and I am totally sick of them. The way they usually work is that both sides have a few items prepared, they talk past each other in 5 or 10 minute increments a few times, then at some point there will be rebuttals, but so much has been said already that the vast majority of it is never addressed. It's not terribly uncommon that in closing argument one party will point out that all of their assertions were not considered and then claim victory. I'm pretty much done watching these debates, but there are certainly times when I would like to watch something else along the same lines.

Recently Lady Atheist posted a link to an interview between Richard Dawkins and a Young Earth Creationist. This format I like a lot better, it is much more conversational and they are able to explore ideas and interact much more than in a debate format. If anyone knows of other good videos in a more conversational format I'd love to watch them. If you toss in a comment I'll edit the original post and put it up here. BTW, I'm sure if I don't mention it someone will suggest the atheist experience, I listen to that show every week. I'm guessing everyone reading my blog is aware of them, but if not you should go check them out.

**edit**
I haven't had the chance to watch it yet, but in the comments Christian suggested a video where Dawkins interviews a creationist.

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the formal debate thing. I hope I get the chance soon to check out that interview. It does sound like a much better format.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth a watch. It was still frustrating at a few points, the YEC guy asked some pretty ridiculous questions, and he didn't seem to understand Dawkin's answer about the evolution of the eye. But I think he was trying, and he wasn't just trying to score rhetorical points, which a lot of debating people do.

      Delete
  2. That's the problem with formal debates, neither side is in it to find out which argument has the best evidence, they're there to score points with the audience. It's the difference between a great NBA basketball game and watching the Harlem Globetrotters. We all know, going in, that no formal debate is going to change anyone's mind, which makes having them in the first place utterly pointless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an old link and not so much a debate as an interview. Maybe you will enjoy it, it is when he was interviewing Wendy Wright from Concerned women for America.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AS6rQtiEh8.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...